Over nearly 40 years, Weiss Auctions has grown into one of the premier Collectibles and Estate Auction Houses. We have become a trusted auction house for collectors, enthusiasts, dealers, and more not just locally but around the world.
Our Expertise: Phil has over 50 years’ experience in the collectibles trade. Growing up as a second-generation book and stamp specialist he turned his interest in the collectibles field into one of the top collectibles auction houses in the country. Phil and Emily Weiss have owned and operated Weiss Auctions for over 30 years. Phil has worked as a consultant for many of the country’s top auction galleries. He has also contributed articles on the field of collectibles to many of the major trade publications. Phil contributes time on a regular basis doing auctions for local charities as well as free appraisals to raise money for senior centers and clubs.
For the past 20+ years Phil has appeared on PBS’s the Antiques Roadshow as an appraiser. Check out some of the appraisals that he’s done throughout the years here on the Antiques Roadshow Website (https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/philip-weiss/)
Areas We Handle: We offer monthly sales showcasing the highest quality material in all aspects of collecting, including but not limited to:
- Rare Books
- Fine Art
- Toy Soldiers
- Animation Art
- Comic Art
- Folk Art
- Sports Memorabilia
- Antique Advertising
- Vintage Travel, Movie, and Advertising Posters
- Sports & Non-Sports Cards
- Rock N’ Roll
- Movie & Entertainment Memorabilia
Even if you don’t see it listed above, please still reach out and we can work with you in making sureyour item or collection gets into the best sale.
Highlighted Collections: Over the years, we have had the privilege of curating and presenting some world class collections, and have set worlds records in almost every area in the collectibles field, yet we do not hesitate to handle moderate to lower end items as well. Some of the collections we have had handled include:
- Newport Stamp Collection: Grossing over $9 million dollars, achieving 5 world record sales prices including the highest price ever paid for a United States Postage stamp when we sold Scott #120b for $1.2 million dollars (2008)
- Arthur Meyers Baseball collection: One of the finest collections of single signed baseballs ever to be offered
- Bethlehem Comic Collection: one of the first pedigreed collections to contain Silver Age (https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/bethlehem/)
- Additional notable comic collections including: Sherwood Golden Age, the Eldon Dedini collection, and Parts of the Big Apple collection
- Joe Kubert Estate: We are proud to have offered and continued to offer original comic artwork from the estate of world renowned comic artist Joe Kubert
- We have become a center and go to auction house for Train and Toy collections with our semi-monthly auctions featuring the notable collections of Joseph Cutrofello, Jan Kalas, Neil Padron, the fabulous Finger Lakes collection, and many other great collections
- L. Phillips collection of Battery Operated Toys and Space Toys which grossed over $500,000 (2007)
Notable Sales: Please check out our past sales page to see many of our past auction highlights, a few notable sales we have had include:
- “The Oceanside Wagner”: Basement found Honus Wagner T-206 card graded SGC 3 sold for nearly $800,000 (2008)
- 19th Century Punch Cigar Store figure for $500K from the “Keden on the Keys Collection” which brought in over $1 million dollars and included an incredible selection of Antique Advertising, Folk Art and Occupational Shaving Mugs
- Babe Ruth Black & White Hall of Fame Card for nearly $60K setting a record price (2010)
- Paul Revere Silver Pitcher for $138K setting a world record price (2023)
- Our $100,000 sale of the original cover art to Spiderman #43 was the first Silver Age piece to break the six figure barrier, an astounding accomplishment at the time
- Nintendo Pokémon “Pikachu Illustrator” trainer promotional hologram trading card, graded in PSA Mint 9 condition and given to a winner at the 1998 CoroCoro Comic illustration contest in Japan, sold for $224,250, a world record at the time (2019)
- Batman #1 in 7.5 Grade at $241,000 was also a record achievement at the time
- Fine art including estate found painting by Francis Newton Souza for $231,650, rare Renaissance Oil on Board by Allegretto Nuzzi at $299,450, Joseph Leyendecker Painting at $104,525, Alex Katz “Windows #1” at $39,600, Kikuo Saito’s “Petipas Umbrella” at $51,600, and many other great works of art
- Magic the Gathering Complete Alpha Set for $423,750
- We are ranked among the top auction houses for selling Charles Schulz and other Cartoon and Comic Art. We are no strangers to Comic art have sold well over $3 million dollars in Charles Schulz Art alone
Check out many more of our past auction highlights here.
Our Goal: We make it our goal to provide the best experience for all of our customers whether you are buying, or selling your item or collections. Our consignment terms are considered to be the most reasonable in the industry, and we never charge any added fees or hidden costs to our consignors.
We work hard to keep the buyer’s premium as low as possible & are among the lowest in the industry. Our in-house buyer’s premium of 15% and on-line buyer’s premium when bidding directly on our website of 18% can be reduced by 2% if invoices are paid in full within 10 business days of the auction with cash, money orders, or certified checks. Please take advantage of our 2% discount.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about your collection, the selling or buying process, or if you want to know what your items may be worth.
We can be contacted here.